Thursday 6 October 2011

Grit Prescription #1: Powerful Free Memberships

Dr. Gerrard recently installed an innovation from out east into the big red machine. Free party memberships. Lots of people joined the party through the new deal.

The concept is simple enough. Participation in the Party is not all about money. It is about... something else, too.

Something else....

With a free Facebook, Google, Linked In, or Apple account, there are terms of service attached. You understand a great deal of what you get for free. You also know when money should migrate from your wallet to theirs in order for you to get something you want that isn't free.

With a Liberal membership, you get free service too, right?

Ummm... right?

Well, sort of, yes.

You get emails telling you when things are happening.

Beyond that, I'm kinda stumped. Not sure what else you get.

Now, maybe I'm just one of those free account service users that doesn't understand the real power of the system I am part of. Perhaps I have free Photoshop, but I only know it can convert my raw camera pictures to JPEG for the 'Net. Maybe I am missing the entire suite of features, and missing the point entirely.

Kinda doubt it, though. I'm ok with Photoshop, and Facebook, and Google, and Apple accounts, so user sophistication isn't crippling me. I actually think there ain't much more in the package for me to use right now.

Segue from Dr. G's free membership upgrade into a 'prescription'? The new free membership-based big red chassis was built. Now its time to trick this beast out.

With what, you ask?

Oh, I dunno. Maybe a member discussion board. Maybe an internal polling system. Maybe a policy forum...

... a help ticket system, a stats system, a Constituency Committee system, an articles of interest system, an event planning system, President's Roundtable systems, 'candidate's corner' features...

And a 'report government shenanigans' feature. Right? Damned right.

'Oh, Rod Rouge, do you know how much that would cost?' Umm... yeah I do. Pretty much nothing in dollars and cents. Its all labour, and taking advantage of the free facilities on the internet. You tell me if I'm wrong (I'm not wrong. Dirt cheap but for the sweat on smart volunteer brows.)

Imagine if one of the free membership questions was 'are you I.T. capable, and if so, would you like to help build the big red machine?' If you answer 'Yes', then grab your tool-set and let's get all American Chopper up in here. Lets build a real big red machine, together.

Something that a new member climbs into and says, 'hey, whoa.... there's a lot of social justice power under this hood. And look at these sound fiscal management features! Are.. are these stock?'

Yes, stock, free. The big red machine 2.0.

That is my first Grit prescription. Low hanging fruit, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment