Wednesday 28 September 2011

...and You, Sir, Are No Izzy Asper.

I'm fairly young.

And I'm fairly Jewish. (Ok, now that will blow my secret identity for sure.)

So what I know of Izzy Asper, of Blessed Memory, comes mostly from friends who knew him, stories about him, and the trail from deeds he left behind in places that I've educated my kids, studied, played, and lived.

I am not so young that I don't know his son, David, as more contemporary. Still, I sure as hell didn't expect to get a spam letter from him. (Ummm... save a tree, ok, David? Seriously.)

Recently I read Dr. Gerrard's history of the Manitoba Liberal Party. It is called 'Battling For A Better Manitoba" I learned things about the big red machine. Like they got us equalization payments when times were tough on the farm. Like they caught the overspending Tories in Legi-gate contracting scandals, and brought them down.

Like the kind of Manitoba Liberal Leader Izzy Asper was.

About Izzy Asper, Dr. Gerrard writes, "By not electing Izzy Asper as Premier, Manitoba missed an incredible opportunity to move the province forward economically, socially, and environmentally. Yet even a loss was a stepping stone for Asper. He once told his son David, "you need in your life to lose really badly because only if you've lost and plummeted the depths of being a loser can you appreciate even small success."

David Asper has written letters to my home carrying a message of support for his PC candidate. David must understand how carefully I weigh the measure of his words, given the fact that his father once drove the big red machine.

David should also know that, as impressed as I am with his father, his letter comes unwelcome. News coverage about David is rarely good. He is rarely portrayed as a man dedicated to being good for Manitoba. In all fairness, most press shows me that David is hoping Manitoba will be good to him.

And so that's how I read the letter. "Vote for my candidate, so Manitoba can be a better place to live... for me."

Gee... I'll... I'll think about it David. I really will.

While I walk the streets in close proximity to Herzlia, and see all those blue signs, I will seriously think about it, David. When I read about the monies you are paid for your generation of 'vision', I will consider it. When I read Ms. Spivak's posters... err.. articles, I will consider it.

But consider this. I would take such a letter by Izzy very seriously. But David, you sir...

Well, fill in the blank, ok?

And stop sending the letters... in case I wasn't clear enough already.

No comments:

Post a Comment